Friday, July 22, 2011

Beginnings

Where does a person's story begin? At which beginning?

When I try to pinpoint the exact "beginning" of God's call on my life to serve as a missionary - I can think of several beginnings to this calling.

Does this story begin when Steve and I knew that we wanted to serve as missionaries in Africa?

Or did it begin outside of Yarinacocha, Peru, where as a young girl I accompanied my dad down a river to visit a tribe with small pox in a remote village?

Perhaps the true beginning was later, as my parents followed me down a church aisle. At 11 years old, I knew I wanted to give my life to serve in missions. I chose to be a missionary.

What does it mean when Jesus said "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last?”

For me it is an understanding that all of my beginnings are in the One Who called me. For He has said in His word, the Bible:

"Before I was born the Lord called me; from my birth He has made mention of my name." Is. 49:1b



No comments:

Post a Comment